The simple guide

For an easy move from Denmark

How to ensure an easy move from Denmark

Avoid double taxation & credit card problems when moving

Moving abroad should be simple. Job Squad is here to simplify your process and help you get started. We want to make sure you can have an easy move from Denmark. However, there are things we can't do for you. For example, your relationship with the taxman and the bank is one of them. So here we try to help you with a guide on how to avoid being double taxed on the salary you earn abroad. There are simple steps you need to take. It's not that complicated, but you need to take the time to do it!

man traveling

The First Steps

The first thing you need to do is report your move to the population register. You can do this easily on On the site, you need to log in with your nemID and report the move. The website will take you through a series of simple steps!

It is also important that you inform your bank advisor. Indeed, your bank will see a different use of your account, foreign transactions and withdrawals from abroad. To avoid them blocking your account, make sure you keep them informed of your plans - send them an email or give them a call.

Your tax situation in Denmark depends on a number of things:

Do you have property in Denmark

1. If you have property in Denmark and there are debts on it, or you rent it out and make money from it, it is important that you report and inform SKAT about any profits

2. If you rent out your property, it must be for at least 3 years before your tax liability shifts fully to the country you are moving to

Do you have shares

You will have to pay about 27% tax on your profits from your shares. If you choose to transfer your securities you may have to pay an exit tax

Do you owe tax money

A repayment arrangement can be made depending on the size of the debt. However, it is important that you inform both your bank adviser and the tax authorities of your plans to move abroad.

If you are a pensioner

If you receive a pension or other social benefits from Denmark and you are moving abroad, possibly to get a nice part-time job, you need to inform SKAT. We always recommend that you talk to a tax adviser.

If you have a Danish company

If you have a Danish registered company, this also applies to sole traders, you should always inform SKAT. You have to be sure that your different incomes are not taxed in the same way. If you have a sole trader business, you may only be partially taxed in Denmark, so it is important to make sure.

Length of your stay abroad

If you are abroad for less than 6 months, you may still have to pay tax on your income. However, if you have signed a contract for a longer period, you are not taxable in Denmark.

There may be other circumstances. Therefore, it is important that you talk to SKAT before you move. You have to make sure that you have your personal circumstances in order, as it varies greatly from person to person. We can only refer to SKAT because we are not tax advisors. Therefore try to minimise information and advice from our side, as we do not want to risk misleading you in the process.

Fortunately, SKAT has made it simple to get an overview and we therefore recommend that you take a look HERE - this is the simple guide. If you have more complicated circumstances it is a good idea to look HERE or speak to a Tax Advisor.

Always check your tax return, ask a tax advisor for advice. Their direct number is: +45 72 22 28 92

To ensure your experience is the best possible we recommend you take the time to review this, it's no fun returning from a great experience abroad and getting a tax leak. It is also no fun to be in the middle of a new job and new surroundings and be informed that double taxation is due. Call SKAT and ask around, look through the links above and it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to sort it out, depending on your circumstances of course.

More info there: