Lussebullar – A sweet Swedish tradition
Planning to travel to Sweden czy live in Sweden? Then you should know about this delicious dessert. Open up to the traditions and life style of your destination country, that will assure you a great experience!
Recipe for Swedish Lussebullar
Lussebullar, Luciabrød, Lussekatter – they have many names depending on the exact recipe and where in Scandinavia you are. They are eaten, especially in Sweden during December but can be found all over Scandinavia. This holiday delicacy has a sweet yellow dough with a texture between cake and bread. The saffron give them a very unique smell and taste – which some would say is an acquired taste. If you like the taste of saffron you will definitely love these easy bake Lussebullar.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2,50 dl Milk
- 25 g Yeast
- 75 g Butter
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 2 Eggs
- 50 g Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 475 g Wheat Flour
- Egg for brushing
- Put the milk into a large bowl and stir in the yeast.
- Melt butter in a pan over low heat. Put the melted butter, crushed saffron, eggs, sugar and salt in the milk and stir well.
- Stir in 450 g wheat flour and mix the dough well. Sprinkle the last 25 g of wheat flour on the kitchen counter and knead the dough thoroughly on the kitchen table. It should be a little sticky. Do not add extra flour, because then the buns will be dry and the dough will settle nicely while it rises.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl with a cloth over it and let it rise for an hour and a half.
- Divide the dough into 12 and form 12 Lussebullar (see picture). Brush with beaten egg and garnish with raisins. Leave the dough to rise for 30 minutes on a baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees hot air for 16-18 minutes. Let them cool slightly on a rack before serving.
Share with your friends, at a warm table and enjoy this wonderful dessert and more Christmas dishes. If you plan to work in Sweden look at this guide about living and working there, to have a better idea of what you need to know. Then you can check up all our available positions in many languages located in Stockholm.